Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm Moving!

To Historical Brownsville!!

Before I moved here to Texas, I'd been looking for housing, something other than the dorms, but found relatively few possibilities. The dorms here on campus are fine, although quite creepy and never lacking in bugs, but they're very expensive for a little room and no access to a kitchen. But exciting news... someone down here is looking for a house sitter from June 24 to August 14, which is perfect!! So I'll be moving into their home with two other interns and enjoying the high life, we'll have a washer and a line to dry clothes on, a dishwasher, a kitchen (complete with stove and sink), a screened in porch, and a bathroom with a jacuzzi. We're living there for free in exchange for keeping an eye on their place, taking in the mail, and watering their plants and trees. I couldn't have found anything better!

FYI... Texas has way too many creepy-crawlies, I've seen way too many cockroaches, a scorpion, and lots of large spiders, gross!!

I'm now trained in anthropometrics. Ooooh ahhh, yes it does sound impressive, but really it's just that I've been trained how to take height, weight, hip, and waist measurements correctly. I know, i know, not as exciting but as far as research goes it's fairly important to measure people correctly. And a fun side note, I've grown. I'm now 162.6 cm tall, yay 5 feet 4 inches. I'll be collecting all of this data from individuals in the community in the near future for a study that one of the professors is doing here.

Also this week, a friend from University of Michigan and I met up for dinner here in the Valley. She's been living in the Valley for a few years now, working down here. It was great to have someone from home here. I'm beginning to really enjoy my time here in the Valley, all of the unique cultural, linguistic, and even temperal differences here.

Well y'all take care, it's a beautiful Saturday here and I'm headin' off to the beach to do some swimmin' and sunbathin'. FYI... Texans talk funny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment